Summer’s the time to celebrate independence and liberty. I don’t know enough about French holidays to know if you’re supposed to say, “Happy Bastille Day” (July 14), but it seems like a thing to celebrate to me. I also don’t know anything about French politics, but I embrace the basic concept of liberty, equality, and brotherhood.
In “Old Glory” we learned how to change colors during L4. This tutorial will demonstrate “fussy” color changing in the warping layers. I use a reverse slip knot to secure yarn quickly to the loom (I use my fingers to make the knot rather than a crochet hook). It’s easy to untie after the square is off the loom.
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
L1&3: BS “Loyal Royal,” RHS “White,” RHS “Really Red”
L2&4: RHS “White”
- Begin with blue at Cr1. Warp 6 strands, then leave the yarn attached to the skein.
- Another option is to “pretend warp” L3 (5 strands going back on itself) and cut yarn, leaving a generous tail (see photo in white section below). Don’t forget to unwarp the L3 strands.
- Tie white yarn to middle pin of second 3-pin group on 1-2 side of loom. (Next to where blue ended.)
- Warp around pins 2 and 3, then up between 1 and 2 and so on. Warp 4 strands.
- Leave yarn attached to skein or pretend warp L3 and cut. (Recommended because we need white for L2.)
- Tie red on middle pin of fourth 3-pin group on 1-2 side. (Next to where white ended.)
- Warp around pins 2 and 3, then up between 1 and 2 and so forth. Warp 6 strands; leave yarn attached or pretend warp L3 and cut.
- Tie white on 3-4 side of loom near Cr3. Warp L2 from top to bottom. This is a bit tricky, but remember to go between pins 1 and 2, then around pins 2 and 3.
- Measure 4.75-5 wraps and cut yarn.
- Go back and warp L3 for each color. Each L3 color begins by wrapping 1 pin. Tie each color to the loom in the direction of warping.
- L3 warps: Blue — 5 warps, White — 4 warps; Red — 6 warps
- Weaving R1 will begin by wrapping 1 pin. Thereafter, wrap two pins at the beginning of each row.
Even Rows: (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P9, (U3, O1) x 2, U3
Odd Rows: P2, (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P5, (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P2
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité — Nine-Patch Variation
L1&3: CSS “Royal Blue,” “White,” “Harvest Red”
L2&4: CSS “White”
R2: (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P9, (U3, O1) x 2, U3
R3: P2, (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P5, (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P2
R4: Rpt R2
R5: Rpt R3
R6: (U3, O1) x 7, U3
R7: P10, (U3, O1) x 2, U3, P10
R8: P12, U3, O1, U3, P12
R9: Rpt R7
R10: Rpt R8
R11: Rpt R2
R12: Rpt R3
R13: Rpt R2
R14: Rpt R3
R15: Rpt R2