A blog reader contacted me the other day and asked if I’d ever designed a Greek alphabet for pin loom squares. I hadn’t. Till now.Read More →
The Charms series patterns are among my favorites that use Warp Displacement. When I was exploring warp displacement last year I spent a lot of time figuring out exactly how to get this sucked-in X look and how best to complement the shape. For warp displacement patterns, these are quite easy to do.
This is a Warp Displacement pattern, so you may want to review the linked post. I’ve included an explanation for how to follow the chart, but you may be frustrated if you’re not familiar with the technique.
I called this pattern Zulu because it reminds me of an African tribal shield, and because we always loved singing the “Zulu Warrior” song when I was a kid.
As I was sorting through piles of squares today, I ran across this one with a note attached: “Rejected.” I decided it was maybe worth including after all, so here it is. The original pattern is called Asian Lanterns.
This one comes with written instructions! They were written on a card and the drawing was so congested (and edited too many times) I decided to draw the diagram on the computer by following the card.
Have to say, this one didn’t turn out as I’d hoped. (It’s been redesigned and needs to be rewoven.) In its defense, I designed it on graph paper–long before I began designing with charts on the computer–using the palest pencil imaginable. It was hard to see the diagram to transfer it to digital media, so I can only imagine (because I can’t remember) how difficult it must have been to design. Apparently I had no trouble following my nearly imperceptible graphite marks because I wove what I wrote. Nevertheless, while transcribing the pattern I decided to make some improvements (untested at this point, but I’m certain they’re improvements).
Before I could transfer the semi-visible drawing to the computer, I thought I’d better get a look at the original so I could know what I was trying to copy. Here’s a rough sketch of what Road to Tennessee looked like in my quilt block book.
I think this pattern is pretty cool; turned out exactly as I’d hoped. Combined with other blocks it would make an interesting overall quilt design.
This pattern deserves its own name, but I can’t think what to call it. I already called something else Churn Dash and I have a more pinwheel-like pattern waiting to be posted. Since it’s more or less a variation, let’s just call it that. I think it looks pretty front or back.