This pattern was originally called “A New Design 4a.” Sometimes I can’t think of a good name while I’m in the thick of designing. Somebody received a square with this pattern in the recent pin loom square swap we started in January (and finished in April) on the Facebook Pin Loom Weaving Support Group. I promised a better name for the design, hope this one qualifies.
Gotta admit, I like design challenges. I like them best when they work out, of course. This one did. A friend and member of the Facebook Pin Loom Weaving Support Group asked if I could design a square that looked like the stripes of a flag waving in the wind. After a number of attempts—and several rejected ideas—this is what I arrived at.
Let this be a lesson to me: don’t post old patterns without exploring them further. The Recessed Square pattern I posted earlier today (and I do mean earlier) was technically a rectangle—which I knew at the time. With very little trouble I added a couple of rows and came up with a square-within-a-square design. Here it is.
It’s been nearly three years since we used this design in our first Weave-Along (WAL) on the Facebook Pin Loom Weaving Support Group. I should say it’s been bothering me ever since, but it wasn’t. However, it bothered several others at the time of the WAL—people who were good at spotting oddities in weaving designs. My squares were so obscure looking that I didn’t notice the inconsistencies. (See original Loomette pattern diagram at bottom of this post.)
While sorting through old patterns—some rejected—I ran across an abandoned project and an unusual-looking pattern. I consulted my notebook and then my printed copy of Weave-It Magic Squares. Looks like I asked, “What if…?” on the “Plain and Fancy” pattern. Mine isn’t a perfect square, and I’ve crocheted around the border, but I thought I’d share it here in case anyone is interested.
This design is the result of a request from a Facebook friend. I’m not sure if it met her needs—can’t remember the outcome. I ran across it a few weeks back and decided to polish it up, weave it, and post it. I’m not crazy about the colors I chose. I think higher contrast would look better, or at least using the lighter color for L1-3 and the darker color for L4 (which is probably why the back shows up more strikingly than the front).
I don’t have a great sample photo of this one. I use the 2″ x 4″ and 2″ x 6″ looms sometimes to test out pattern motifs. The sample photo shows an idea I rejected (repeating R2 on R3). It also shows the pattern in a single color. As long as I was in the neighborhood, I went ahead and drew up a diagram.
While working on Diamond Dabs for the 4″ loom, I thought the overall pattern might show up better on a larger square. Then, while test weaving it on the 6″ square, I decided it would look a little more interesting with an optional variation.