Several names suggested themselves to me for this design—most containing some form of the word diamond. In the end I decided to name it after Dame Diana Rigg who starred in the movie I watched while weaving this square. (I was watching In This House of Brede, based on the book of the same name by Rumer Godden. I could go into my lifelong obsession with Rumer Godden’s writing, but won’t. I enjoyed the movie very much. It was very thought-provoking.)
Judie Eatough won’t take credit for this pretty weaving draft, but she readied it for the pin loom and brought it to our attention. These are her comments: “Here is a pattern for the dogwood blossom that is a traditional Atwater-Bronson lace pattern. This one uses 3 thread warp floats. The photo is of the unwashed square done in acrylic yarn. The petals round some because the plain weave pushes into the lace areas. Use a yarn that gives you a firm plain weave square.”
One of my blog readers, Lee Ross, contacted me recently for some advice on designing a dog paw print pattern. I gave her a little advice and she sent me these wonderful results! With her permission, I share her design with you. “Molly’s Paw”—copyright Lee Ross.
While on the subject of stars . . .
I designed this pattern on a different loom and haven’t tried it in both sizes on the Weave-It/Wunderwag style loom yet. It’s based on an extant Weave-It pattern, so it’s probably not totally original to me. However, I made it up on the fly and don’t want to forget it, so I’m documenting it here.
Star Panel (4″)
One of the interesting things about patterns for the 6″ and 4″ looms is that they’re not totally interchangeable. There’s probably a formula, but you’d have to do calculations of some kind. Math is not where my windswept mind likes to settle.
Another thing to consider is the size factor. What looks good on a 4″ square may look overly busy or boring on a larger square.
Here is one of my favorite 4″ weaving patterns adapted for the 6″ loom. It’s called “Horizontal Xs (modified for 6″).” I haven’t tested this one yet, but I’m reasonably sure it will produce an interesting all-over texture pattern.
Again, the photo shows the square attached to two others because I forgot to take photos before joining them.
The photo shows the heart joined to two other squares (forgot to take separate photos).